Unknown skin condition

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
betty240508

by betty240508 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Unknown skin condition

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had seen anything like the photo before.

My three year old boy developed at the start of February what looked like small spots that started off with a few and grew in size and number. This developed on his forehead. At first I thought it was just a dry patch of skin and moisturised it but after a couple of weeks we took him to the doctor as it was getting worse.

At first the doctor thought it was impetigo and prescribed a cream which didn't work and we went back to see him. If I can remember correctly I think he may also have been given a medication to take as well which didn't work. During this time it was getting more noticeable and worse. I believe a swab was also taken which came back that it was negative. We attended the doctors surgery at least 6 times concerning this and I was given numerous creams to try, none of which made any difference. Eventually because they didn't know what it was we were referred to the hospital.

On Monday the 10th April we attended The Royal Hospital for sick Children in Glasgow to see a doctor there. She looked and said she didn't know what it was. I had to ask her to take a swab. She gave me a prescription for 2 creams, one to use for 5 days ( this made no difference), in fact the small section of condition that he had on his cheek got worse over this period and the second cream which I started today. Then she told me to make an appointment again in 4 months! I asked her what should I do during that period, to which I really didn't get a proper answer.

I'm so confused at the whole situation and the fact that he has seen three doctors now and none of whom know what it is. Can I add that up until that point in Feb his skin was perfectly clear and he had no issues.

I am considering taking him to see a dermatologist privately however when I looked up the private hospital the doctor that he saw in the hospital is also the paediatric doctor in the private hospital, so I'm sort of stuck as I would need to request to see a different doctor.

Sorry for the long story, I just hope someone out there can assist in some way. I have attached a photo of what it looks like today on his forehead plus he also has a similar section on his cheek.

Thanks
Elizabeth
Attachments
20170417_173724.jpg
20170417_173724.jpg (215.78 KiB) Viewed 3468 times

Lisa BSF

by Lisa BSF on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: Unknown skin condition

Hi Elizabeth,

It's difficult to tell from the photo what the condition is. However, if you get in touch with the BSF using the contact details on this page http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/ContactUs.aspx we can share a list of dermatologists in your area, in case that helps?

Other useful pages include:
http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk ... sease.aspx
http://www.dermnetnz.org/

Best of luck, Lisa

2 posts