British Skin Foundation

Vitiligo

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
matt100121

by matt100121 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Vitiligo

I just been diagnosed with vitiligo, I have it on my penis and neck at the moment. I am 30 years old. Will it spread? Is there a cure? Also due to it being on my penis, it has affected my confidence.

hannahh89

by hannahh89 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: Vitiligo

There is no cure for vitiligo, but just know that alot of people/partners do not mind it and actually like how it looks, and you shouldn't let it affect your confidence. There are many treatments for vitiligo available and google should assist you on that, but I personally have not tried any as I am not all that concerned with how it looks. To put simply, vitiligo is a condition where your immune system attacks your skin color/pigment (melanin) and there is no cure for it, often the patches begin on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun or spots where there is alot of friction or rubbing. "The best evidence is for applied steroids and the combination of ultraviolet light in combination with creams," but just think carefully if you really want to try these expensive things, to try to control something that you really can't all that well.

2 posts