British Skin Foundation

Plantar wart

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Ilanmorg

by Ilanmorg on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm

Plantar wart

I have warts (verruca) on my feet and have tried 5 trials of liquid nitrogen at doctors office and few month of usuage of verrumel/salatec gel.
I came to a doctor who scrapped them with a medical knife right after used liquid nitrogen on it.
He says this process is the same as laser treatment and that I should come every 1.5 months so he will do the same thing. As it is all bleeding and hurts, is it my only alternative? Does he right it is the same as laser treatment?
Any country i can get a better non hurting approach the will eliminate those warts?
I am 40 and have around 7-8 month.

rfrederick70

by rfrederick70 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Re: Plantar wart

Your doctor is correct in that laser, cryosurgery and debridement (scalpel) are all equally poor when it comes to treating plantar warts (verrucae) as this is a particularly difficult and stubborn condition to treat.

A recent study in 2017 called EVERT2 was published in the British journal of dermatology and this compared scalpel debridement with a treatment called "needling" and found the clearance of the verruca only occurred in 15.1% of participants (14.3% = needling, ; 16.0% = debridement) which is little better than placebo (i.e. doing nothing!).

An earlier study called EVERT published in 2011 reported no evidence of a significant difference in clearance rates between salicylic acid (14.3%) and cryotherapy (13.6%), again about the same as placebo.

Rather than wasting your (and your GP's) time I would strongly recommend anyone with verruca to directly contact a few local Podiatrists and ask if they have a more modern, less invasive and more effective treatment for verruca.

Also make sure the Podiatrist is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

This condition can be successfully treated, its just a matter of selecting the best modern treatment that these professionals have to offer that will work for you.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Re: Plantar wart

It seems like he needs to cut it and give you antibiotics. Its an infection.

3 posts