British Skin Foundation

6 Year old with Vitiligo

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
FionaD20

by FionaD20 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm

6 Year old with Vitiligo

Hi My 6 year old son has been diagnosed with Vitiligo for about 2 years, within that time it has dramatically increased in scale over his body, mainly on his chest, groin, legs and the areas around his eyes. With small patches starting on his arms, fingers, feet etc. We're trying a steroid cream on just one patch on his clavicle to see if there's any change and he's now just been offered Narrowband UVB phototherapy. I know there's isn't a 'cure' for Vitiligo but I'm interested to hear if there's been any joy with the phototherapy treatment in stopping the spread. And more specifically if there's other parents that have put their children through this treatment.
He's luckily not bothered by the patches at the moment, he's fairly light skinned during winter months, it's only in the summer when he tans (which he does very easily) that it becomes more noticeable. As a fair skinned person myself my main concern is sun safety and if we can improve his natural skin pigmentation so that he won't be so vulnerable then that's my main goal. I'm nervous about the potential long term side effects of the phototherapy so I'm trying to weigh up whether the treatment is worth the 'potential' side effects. Thanks.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 am

Re: 6 Year old with Vitiligo

Hi FionaD20,

Sorry to hear about you son's struggles with Vitiligo. We hope that you receive some replies soon to your question from our other members who may have explored phototherapy treatment for Vitiligo.

You may also be interested to know that The British Skin Foundation and talkhealth are teaming up to offer our community the opportunity to put their vitiligo questions to our panel of dermatology experts. Dr Adil Sheraz, Dr Anton Alexandroff, Dr Andrew Thompson, Dr Emma Wedgeworth and Dr Dev Shah will be kindly joining us to give advice and support for coping with vitiligo and the treatment options available.

Experts will be answering questions on Thursday 11th June but the clinic will be open from Monday 8th June for you to post your questions in advance. Please find the link here:

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... o_2020.php

Kind regards,

talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Re: 6 Year old with Vitiligo

I do not know if that is curable. A lot of people have this. I wish you, and him good luck. Speak to the doctor, maybe there is a way to cure it.

3 posts