British Skin Foundation

Unidentified Skin Condition

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
tanskincare

by tanskincare on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 am

Unidentified Skin Condition

Hi! My girlfriend has been dealing with an unidentified skin condition for the past year and nothing we try seems to work. Some background, about a year ago, my girlfriend got infected with Scabies - but was able to take medication and recover from it. However, since then, small (sometimes pus-filled) spots appear randomly across her upper body. Infecting her chest, back, next, sometimes face, but rarely below the waist. The STRANGEST thing about the spots is that they come and go - it can be completely gone for a week then suddenly breakout the next morning. It doesn't appear to follow any pattern, as we have monitored her diet/lifestyle/use of products/sleep/anxiety...etc.

Here is some key information we have collected:
-Products she has tried: antibacterial/antifungal shampoo and medicine, sulfur, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid, all types of moisturizers and skin products
-Her skin feels very, very dry and tight. Without moisturizer, she feels her skin crack. She never had underlying dry skin issues in the past
-As mentioned, the spots occur spontaneously and all over the upper body (rarely below the waist), and come often get better/worse overnight

She has seen a dermatologist who simply recommended an antibiotic cream, and she has another appointment soon. However, before the appointment I wanted to see whether the community would have any guesses/thoughts as to what this condition is - so that we can inquire about it with the derm. This illness has taken a serious emotional and mental toll on my girlfriend and I, and although it isn't the most serious condition, we both feel sad and helpless about this reoccuring issue.

We would appreciate any kind of information that can help! Thank you guys.
Attachments
skin3.jpg
skin3.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
skin2.jpg
skin2.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
skin1.jpg
skin1.jpg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:48 am

Re: Unidentified Skin Condition

Hi tanskincare,

Thank you for your post with pictures. Hopefully other members may be able to help you identify what the spots are before your next appointment. This might be too far into the future but we do have an online skin clinic in September where experts in the dermatological field will answer your skin question. Please find more information here:

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... tions-2020

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

tanskincare

by tanskincare on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:50 pm

talkhealth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:48 am
Hi tanskincare,

Thank you for your post with pictures. Hopefully other members may be able to help you identify what the spots are before your next appointment. This might be too far into the future but we do have an online skin clinic in September where experts in the dermatological field will answer your skin question. Please find more information here:

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... tions-2020

Kind regards
talkhealth
Thank you guys so much for offering this great service! We look forward to participating :)

Dr Sree Krishna

by Dr Sree Krishna on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi Tan,

Thanks for the pictures and for the excellent story - making the diagnosis is much easier when you've got such a good handle on the story! It looks like Pityrosporum (sometimes called Malassezia) folliculitis. I would tend to treat this with an oral medication called itraconazole.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Sreedhar
Dr Sreedhar Krishna
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Clinical Fellow in Dermatopathology

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... ar-krishna

tanskincare

by tanskincare on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:27 am

Hi Dr. Sree Krishna,

Thank you so much for your response and helpful advice! My girlfriend actually visited the Derm a few weeks ago but unfortunately he did not conduct any tests/swabs but suggested that it was bacterial and also somehow related to a potential allergy. My girlfriend is going in a few days to do the allergy test but since the first appointment we've realized the problem is likely what you described (Malassezia folliculitis).

She's used anti-fungals in the past with relative success but we've read that often times you need something strong (oral) to completely treat it. We were just wondering if you know of any antifungal creams/lotions that you can get OTC (in Europe), or any stronger antifungals that you would need to get prescribed (that she can ask the Derm for)?

Even if you don't get a chance to respond, we really appreciate the help you have given us, and for giving us some hope to overcome this disease.

Thanks,
Tan

Dr Sree Krishna

by Dr Sree Krishna on Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi Tan,

My pleasure. Unfortunately, because the action is within the hair follicle (i.e. under the skin), lotions and topical treatments can be less successful than tablets. I would recommend oral itraconazole but I have also treated this issue with isotretinoin (in a gentleman who couldn't take itraconazole).

Good luck!

Sree
Dr Sreedhar Krishna
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Clinical Fellow in Dermatopathology

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... ar-krishna

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Its very common what you are suffering with. A good cream should help you. Honestly what you have doesnt look so bad. Good luck getting rid of them though.

7 posts