Acne: my (short) story..

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
Quercuss

by Quercuss on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 am

Acne: my (short) story..

Hi I am 66 and I have acne.
It's never been as bad as the worst I have seen people suffering with, but at times it has been difficult and sometimes even, it seems, vindictive. Public speaking or teaching for example bring out its most mischievous traits. Symmetrical locations in the middle of the forehead or end of the nose are always a favourite. I regularly erupt inside my mouth which is always a giggle.
Another charming acne episode I will not forget goes like this...
In my early twenties out of the blue a doctor prescribes some penicillin for my acne (after years of being told I would grow out of it). This was a miracle cure until I put my prescription in at a different pharmacy only to be shamed loudly, creatively and at length by the chemist in front of waiting customers for being selfish enough to use an apparently very expensive antibiotic for vanity purposes. Hmm
Ok so getting to the point.......

I have found a treatment that works so well for me that I think of it as a cure.
It's not a drug or product and it is part of your 5 a day.
I know you are now thinking "whatever"
Well I can't help that but if you are a young person with acne and it is affecting your confidence like it did mine, then you might like to give it a try.
Just go and buy some broccoli, put it in a steamer for about 15-20 mins or microwave in a bowl with a little water. Then eat it.
You can combine it with unhealthy things like pizza and chips. I like mine with crispy bacon, mayo and grated cheese. It still works. Obviously if your normal diet includes 3 mega bars of Cadburys finest with a gallon of Barefoot Merlot it will struggle, but hey, your choice.
And that's it
Here's what I've found.....
If I have big one gathering strength and I leave it a day really to get some revs going - after eating the broccoli the next morning the thing goes into reverse gear. The pressure under the skin reduces along with the pain. Then, sometimes even without another dose of broccoli the next day, the normal recovery pattern kicks in but speeded up, lump goes down pustule forms quickly instead of lurking around 'dodging the pin' etc etc.
Acne sufferers know that a spot on the wane has lost 75% of its embarrassment factor straight off.
The killer point is that broccoli can cure my spots quicker than I can make them. Even while wolfing down two bars of RitterSport Marzipan a day ( not every day)
Obviously I'm not telling you the greatest untold secret of the modern world just so you can all get away with eating crap and give yourselves type 2 by the time you start going to parent-teacher evenings that would be silly.
Also
I didn't discover this wonderful thing until recently, so I haven't been able to trial this on a hormone ridden teen yet (my hormones went the same way as my pension some years ago)and my kids weren't affected so bad and are in their thirties now.
Also
If broccoli is an allergen for you or poisons you in any way please don't eat it.
I just want you to give it a try. If it turns out your acne is broccoli resistant that's a tough one, but at least it's gotta be good for your diet
Also
You'll need to eat four or five of those lovely green flowers at a sitting, no nibbling
You knew they were flowers right? And no boiling or stewing and they need to be fresh or they'll give you tummy ache
Sorry for TLDR just felt the urge to share.