British Skin Foundation

Undiagnosed skin condition

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
helpmyskin93

by helpmyskin93 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:09 pm

Undiagnosed skin condition

In August 2021 I developed a severe case of scabies (not crusted/Scandinavian). I saw lots of doctors which resulted in misdiagnosis or incorrect treatment being provided. Eventually pictures were taken and sent to a dermatologist who confirmed I had scabies. I treated the scabies from the neck down with permethrin and it was effective everywhere, except for on my penis and scrotum. However back in August 2021 I had 2 distinct rashes in terms of appearance and location. The one rash was on my penis and scrotum and the other was on the rest of my body (from the torso down). The rash from the torso down was pin prick in size, red or purple, flat, smooth, with no blood or puss; this is the rash that cleared up after scabies treatment. The genital rash (which is undiagnosed and a dermatologist hasn't seen pictures of) is currently red, raised and itchy, and in the past has had scabs, been filled with a liquid and oozed. The scabs were a brown or yellow colour. While I had scabies I developed impetigo on my face, which I treated with fusidic acid, the treatment was effective on my face. I also used fusidic acid on my penis and scrotum and it made no difference. I'm from the U.K were the NHS has been in decline for many years and with covid and lockdown I still haven't been able to see a dermatologist. I actually had to threaten my local G.P surgery with legal action in order for them to refer me, I've been told it's a 5 month wait, but this has bee going on since August and it's January 2022 now! Can anyone please help me? I'm happy to share any and all details. Also I should mention I was tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, HIV and genital herpes all of which came back negative. I was also tested for all types of hepatitis, liver and kidney problems which were also negative. Surely it has to be stubborn scabies, impetigo or worse case psoriasis? I've seen so many doctors and they kept telling me I had dermatitis, an allergy or prickly heat, so I only got scabies treatment in October 2021.

pw123456

by pw123456 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Undiagnosed skin condition

It's difficult to help without seeing pictures - I can't even look stuff up for you, though I'm sure you've done a lot of that yourself. However, I understand it's in a private area.

I'm curious - have you considered the reason the fusidic acid was effective? I understand sometimes the problem is fungal and that's the reason it works. If this is so, have you considered a topical iodine treatment? You must get the concentration correct, for which you will need professional advice, otherwise you will load your system with iodine and it will also sting horribly, but you will have seen iodine being used to sanitise the skin before surgery. It's the same idea.

2 posts