British Skin Foundation

Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
mjshepud@gmail.com

by mjshepud@gmail.com on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:25 pm

Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome

Hi, I'm looking for help on behalf of my wife who suffers from a skin condition, which I think may be Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome. She says that she feels hard balls or splinter like sensations down the middle part of her face, especially under the skin of her forehead, upper lip, around her nostril wings, and on her chin, more rarely and less severely on her cheeks, and not on her nose. These drive her to try to remove them, using nail clippers, tweezers and needles, leaving large open lesions that take a very long time to heal, and can get infected. She "cleans" them for many hours daily (up to 8 or 9 hours) and they bleed a lot. She has been on courses of antibiotics, which helped with the healing, a little, but did not stop the problem. She now uses an antiseptic spray to manage infections. I think that this may be Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome, which is a condition that occurs following damage to the facial nerve, and often drives self inflicted ulcerations. We have been waiting for a dermatologist appointment to diagnose the condition, but have been told we may have to wait years. In the mean time we are getting desperate: it is ruining her life, her self confidence, and affecting our mental health, sleep and work. Does anyone know anything about curing, managing or living with this condition? If so, please help us... Thank you!