Psoriasis?

Post your question about psoriasis to our experts here

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
gemb2087

by gemb2087 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Psoriasis?

Hi

I have been getting these scaly read patches all over my body for a few years now, I've had them on my legs, arms, chest, neck, face (eyelids, nose and cheeks) back and scalp. They last for about 3-4 weeks sometimes longer they start off red and can be itchy then become scaly and I can peel off the top layer of skin, they then stay red and start to become scaly/flaky and again and peels off, this process continues until it clears up.
I went to a nhs walk in centre and was told it might be a mild form of psoriasis and should book in with my gp, by the time I got an appointment I didn't have any on my body at the time, so she just prescribed me betnovate cream. I can go months without any then I get loads, I seem to have more then usual at the moment, I have just come back from a holiday and was quite cold where I was my skin has become very dry and itchy so could the climate be a cause of getting so many at the minute?

I would like to know if this sounds like psoriasis or some form eczema?

Many thanks

gemb2087

by gemb2087 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Psoriasis?

picture 1- is on my leg and the top layer of skin peeled off a couple of days ago it is starting to go scaly again

picture 2 - is also on my leg

picture 3 - is on the inside of my elbows

Many Thanks
Gemma
Attachments
pic 3.JPG
pic 3.JPG (59.7 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
pic 2.JPG
pic 2.JPG (56.35 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
pic 1.JPG
pic 1.JPG (75.4 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Thank you. I am so sorry to hear about your skin condition. The images are not very sharp I am afraid ( it is very difficult to photograph skin lesions!) but together with the description you gave it sounds like psoriasis. Psoriasis a common chronic skin condition which may also affect joints (psoriatic arthritis).
If it is psoriasis (it is a good idea to make appointment to see you GP or a dermatologist when you have rash) than Enstilar foam works better than betnovate. But Enstilar and Betnovate are too strong for face or skin folds where daktacort can be used. If you suspect joint problems you need to see your GP.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) PhD FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
Member of The British Association of Dermatologists
Leicester Spire Hospital, Nuffield Health Cambridge and Leicester Hospitals, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter: your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

Dr Nisith Sheth

by Dr Nisith Sheth on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 am

Sorry to here that you are suffering. The condition you have might well be psoriasis. However I think you should ideally see a consultant dermatologist as there other conditions which can cause a similar rash. For example a less common condition called Pitaryasis Lichenoides Chronica is a less common condition which can give a sclly rash with a collarette of scale. A dermatologist would need to see you to make an accurate diagnosis
Dr Nisith Sheth
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _sheth.php

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 am

Dear Gemb2087,

Many thanks for posting your question and photos. I agree with both of my colleagues. Clinically from your photos the rash is suggestive of psoriasis, however, there are other conditions that can cause a scaly red rash that need exclusion.

I would also recommend review by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis so an appropriate treatment plan can be made for you.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

5 posts