Scalp psoriasis and hair loss

Post your question about psoriasis to our experts here

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kitkitkit

by kitkitkit on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Scalp psoriasis and hair loss

Hi doctors

Thank you for taking your time to read and respond to our questions, it's so appreciated!

I've had scalp psoriasis for one year now with hair loss in a patch that is growing. Whilst using prescribed scalp shampoos the scales seem to subside but after the usual one month treatment the scales never completely disappear, then psoriasis worsens and the patch gets bigger.

My biggest worry is losing more hair and it's not shown any sign of regrowth for 12 months now... what should I do next? Just keep going back to the doctor and try stronger shampoos?

Thank you
KN

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Scalp psoriasis and hair loss

Dear KN,

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. There is more than one way to treat scalp psoriasis and each dermatologist is likely to have their preferred method of treatment. My approach to patients in clinic is this:
1. Cocois/Sebco ointment on alternate nights (overnight) to be left in contact with the scalp for 8 hours
2. Capasal shampoo to wash the scalp - two washes - first wash leave in contact with the scalp for 10 minutes and second wash rinse immediately like a normal shampoo - you can use your normal conditioner following this
3. Steroid scalp application e.g. Elocon scalp three times a week to reduce inflammation
4. Once weekly oil treatment to scalp with argan or coconut oil overnight

In my mind, the first treatment loosens the scale whilst you sleep, the shampoo removes it, then the steroid lotion calms down the redness and inflammation left behind once the scale has gone. This seems to work quite well in my experience and after following this regimen on alternate days for one month, the frequency can be reduced to once weekly or fortnightly as needed.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Dr Nisith Sheth

by Dr Nisith Sheth on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Scalp psoriasis and hair loss

That's a great response fro Dr Mahto. Her suggestions will work in the vast majority of cases. Very occasionally people need to go on to tablet treatment but this is unusual for psoriasis localised just to the scalp
Dr Nisith Sheth
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _sheth.php

3 posts