Dermalex

Post your question about psoriasis to our experts here

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sarahrab69

by sarahrab69 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Dermalex

why isnt this available on prescription?
It has been a god send for me.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Dermalex

Dear Sarah,

thank you. I am delighted that it helped you. However in order for this to be available on NHS a topical preparation (e.g. dermalex in this case) or medicine has to be tested in a clinical study (clinical trial) on a significant number of patients and a large proportion of patients should benefit from the treatment at a significant and meaningful level with acceptable level of side effects. Such clinical study can be expensive (a typical clinical trial in dermatology costs about £500,000 to run and evaluate). I could not find so far any published evidence that Dermalex was tested in a clinical trial in patients with psoriasis (I just checked Pubmed medical publications database). I think this is a reason it is not available on nhs.
So to put it in short, it is fantastic that it helps you but if Dermalex is tested on the next 100 patients, at present we don't know if it would help 99 patients, 10 patients or 1 patient. Logically if, e.g., it helps only 1 patient out of 100 it is not such a good idea to provide it on NHS. And nobody would know the answer until a clinical trial(s) is/are done.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) PhD FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
Member of The British Association of Dermatologists
Leicester Spire Hospital, Nuffield Health Cambridge and Leicester Hospitals, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter: your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts