Medical alerts?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
ljacobs1987

by ljacobs1987 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Medical alerts?

Hi all. I asked this question a while back but the answers I got didn't really help me so I wanted to start a new discussion. My daughter is living at Ohio State and she left home which is in Indy. I would be comfortable with this if it weren't for her severe peanut allergy. Of course, she has more than one epi-pen but if something were to happen she would need to go to the emergency room after the shot. I'm looking into those medical alert necklaces and bracelets. I guess they work by calling 911 when you press a button. I saw a these personal alert systems but I need information on cost. I found a little at that website but I really need a review of the bracelets. Thank you so much. This would help me get some sleep at night with her away at school.
Last edited by ljacobs1987 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:46 am

Re: Medical alerts?

Hi,

I have just ordered my grandmother a phone that comes with a bracelet or pendant so she can choose where she wears it. When she presses it the phone will dial 3 numbers of your choosing until someone answers. She can then either speak into the speakerphone if she is close enough or a prerecorded message will go out to whoever answers. If an answerphone cuts in it will move to the next number.

Unfortunately all the ones i have looked at only work 30 meters from the base so fine while she is at home but no good when she is out.

I don't know whether this is the case in America but i have also been told that each local council in the UK has an initiative where they rent out medical alerts with panic buttons that go through to emergency services. I haven't looked into this though as i had already ordered the phone when i was told about it.

Hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Yes this system means the operator can talk to the casualty till help arrives.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Bike2Live

by Bike2Live on Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 am

If your daughter has a smartphone, look into the Veta EpiPen case. It's a case that will alert you and anyone else she wants to have informed know when it has been opened. It will also give the notified persons a map with her location should she be unable to call for help. The case also has features like a button that can be held if she is assessing her symptoms that will send the notification if she is unable to hold the button (there is a cancelation feature is she decides that she doesn't need to use the EpiPen), as well as an option to have an audio recording of instructions on how to administer an EpiPen for anyone who may be in the area if she were to open the case and be unable to use it herself. It might not yet be released, but it's worth pre-ordering. I believe it's around $60, but for what you get from it if she ever does need help is rather invaluable.

5 posts