Puzzling Post Nasal Drip - Allergy or Gerd

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
recaptured

by recaptured on Mon May 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Puzzling Post Nasal Drip - Allergy or Gerd

Hi,
Im a 39 year old Male from the UK, who has a puzzling problem. When I was 35 I had the feeling of post nasal drip begin, fast forward 4 years and I still have the problem every day. I am swallowing constantly throughout the day, it feels like I am swallowing something down as something lies on my throat , my throat can feel dry, it can feel sore (normally on an afternoon, then it eases) but the post nasal drip feeling persists.

I have had an NHS allergy test, which showed a 10 for Dust mites, and a 5 and 6 for cats dogs. During these past four years, I was also diagnosed with GERD (acid reflux). This ended up with surgery in September, Nissan Fundoplication and Hiatal Hernia repair, however it did not stop my one and only symptom which is the post nasal drip.

The puzzling thing, is that a few weeks ago, the post nasal drip has come on extremely strong, I am swallowing like crazy and by the afternoon the sore throat starts. I contacted the doctors and was put on a PPI for my Reflux, even though I have had surgery to correct this, and my one and only symptom is Post Nasal Drip.

To sum up, I have one symptom. A swallowing problem where I feel the need to swallow something down all the time, which causes a sore throat.

I have tried Steroid Nasal Sprays, Fexofenadine 180mg, numerous Antihistamines, Neti Pots. Nothing helps.

On the Gerd side of things, I have tried PPIs (proton Pump inhibitors) up to the maximum dose, and surgery to correct this.

However even with all these drugs and surgery the one issue remains, Post Nasal Drip that leads to a sore throat by the afternoon, every day. I have seen 3 ENTs who say everything looks fine, other than having Chronic Rhinitus and a deviated septum.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this as there only symptom , and what does it sound like to you an Allergy, a sympton of Reflux or something else ?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu May 14, 2020 11:53 am

Re: Puzzling Post Nasal Drip - Allergy or Gerd

Hi recaptured,

Thank you for your post. Sorry to hear of your persistent nasal drip which sounds very frustrating. You may want to contact one of our partner charities Allergy UK and see if they can advise you. They have a dedicated helpline:

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/Ch ... rgy_uk.php

Alternatively have you got tested for food intolerances? it may be worth looking into it. Perhaps it is something that you are eating that is causing a persistent post nasal drip and inflammation. You may also want to look at Histamine issues and lowering the histamine level. Please find a past clinic we had on histamine. It can cause all sorts of problems.

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/f ... php?f=1023

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Re: Puzzling Post Nasal Drip - Allergy or Gerd

It could be light symptoms of a cold or flu. Perhaps you could try a smooth organic remedy like honey, etc. Drink a lot of tea, or try chocolate. Take your vitamins and say your prayers. All the best, and God bless.

3 posts