Anyone have a tomato allergy?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
lewisfamily14

by lewisfamily14 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Anyone have a tomato allergy?

Hi there
My 4 year old has suffered from eczema since she was about 3 months old. We got it under control by the time she was 1, but she has always suffered flare ups with red patches appearing all over her legs and thighs, which are itchy. Having looked at her diet, we think this caused by tomatoes, particularly foods such as ketchup, baked beans and spaghetti bolognese. The patches can come up within hours of eating these foods. Is there anything we can do about this? Any suggestions? Obviously cutting out tomatoes completely will be complicated, and she doesn't seem to mind the after effects, but I am worried that the effects seem to be getting worse? Is this 'intolerance' something that could turn into an allergy?? She also has issues with eggs, having had 2 reactions where she got hives round her mouth after eating eggs, she hasn't eaten eggs since, but when she eats cakes she sometimes says her tongue gets tickly / itchy. What should I do? Should I get her allergy tested? Thanks.

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Anyone have a tomato allergy?

Hi
My daughter was and is the same. She still reacts to Tomato Ketchup but I am not sure if it's the vingar /Cetic acid etc there is more to tomato ketchup than just tomatoes.

As for tomatoes I have found different types cause different reactions my daughter is ok with cherry but reacts to the ones on vines.

I cut out tomatoes for 3 weeks then re introduced slowly first using cherry type and she was ok.

Try and get an allergy test.

With my daughter a sign that she is having a reaction is the tongue gets tickly and itchy . The good thing is at lest it is an instant reaction instead of a delayed reaction.

Fiona

mrsh2105

by mrsh2105 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi,

My daughter is allergic to Tomato (Nuts, eggs and dairy too:-/). She has red patches all over most of the time and scratches incessantly. We have now cut all of the above out of her diet and are hoping that it helps. These were all diagnosed with blood tests (RAST) after numerous reactions. This started with eczema at 12 weeks, a diagnosis of nut allergy Dec 2011 and the rest was last week!

It could be an intolerance or allergy. The only way to find out is by getting allergy tests, keeping a food/symptom diary will help too. If it is an allergy, each time the allergen is digested it ramps up the histamine produced and this increases each time it happens.

Clare

lousmith

by lousmith on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

My daughter had a tomato allergy (diagnosed at age 1), and terrible eczema. We cut it out of her diet completely and her eczema did improve at that time. Gradually over about three years we reached a point of being able to gradually re-introduce - but only home made tomato based foods and no puree. The less intense the tomato, the better she was able to tolerate it. She's 6 now and had no problems since it was re-introduced, and fine with eating pizza and spag bol out and about.

williamsmummy

by williamsmummy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

my son cant have tomatos due to their high histamine content, skin and other allergy reactions.

also the same for other high histaime foods such a yeast extract.
so we avoid.

also has oas to some fruit as well as other food allergy list.

certainly as a woman with ezcema handling tomatos and potatos is an irritant. but thats mainly hand ezcema.
Sarah Chapman
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

markrusell

by markrusell on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I think i am hearing this term first time...

bertyolmer

by bertyolmer on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 am

Hi folks,
I got the diagnosis having a HI (histamine intolerance) 3 years ago. It was very hard for me because I could'nt eat certain kind of vegetables and stuff like that. Sometimes it was so hard I could'nt eat sth except of rice. I always had this weird headache and didn't know whats going on.

Here's the fact! Tomatos are high in histamine so it could be possible that you are intolerant to histamine as well. I recommend to go to your allergist for a diagnosis. If it's really histamine I would like to say try the dietary supplement Daosin.

take care and good luck

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Hello all,

We have a great blogger called the 'Low histamine chef' who posts great recipes alongside some really useful advice. You can find out more by following this link: http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... mine-chef/

Hope everyone is getting on well. Do keep us posted.

Best wishes

The talkhealth team.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Dr Kate Swan

by Dr Kate Swan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Dear Lewis Family14,

It sounds as though your daughter would benefit from allergy testing. She sounds as though she is still allergic to eggs.

The tomatoes often cause red, blotchy facial rashes in children with eczema due to their high natural histamine content and contact irritation as well. To reduce the contact irritation we advise to make sure you have applied emollient as a barrier before she eats food with tomatoes in.

Hope this helps.
Dr Kate Swan
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... e_swan.php

9 posts