Coconuts

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Lyndsey78

by Lyndsey78 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Coconuts

Good afternoon, i am looking for some help! My 6 year old daughter has allergies to Nuts, Eggs & also birch pollen i just want to know if coconuts are classed as a nut or a fruit and if she is safe to eat them?

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Coconuts

Hi yes coconut is a nut. It can be confusing as a peanut is not a nut but a llegume.

Have you been refered to a pediatrian or Allegy doctor?
Fiona

Dr Kate Swan

by Dr Kate Swan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm

https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/knowledgebase/coconut/

This provides an evidence based, medically reviewed article on coconut. An extract "But the coconut is a member of the palm family and only distantly related to tree nuts. The botanical distance between coconuts and tree nuts would suggest that people with tree nut allergy should be able to tolerate coconut and studies have shown that this is generally true. Therefore there is no general recommendation that patients with tree nut allergy should avoid coconut.

Rare exceptions have been reported in scientific research papers..."

In clinic we do not routinely test for coconut allergy in patients with treenut allergies. We see occasional coconut allergy but not very commonly.
Dr Kate Swan
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... e_swan.php

Tania01larry

by Tania01larry on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:39 am

I don't think coconut can be an allergy for your child although nuts and eggs are allergy.

Eczemaskincares

by Eczemaskincares on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 am

Coconut oil is perfect in treating eczema

Jenb2611

by Jenb2611 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 am

I’m very ill with coconut products even someone wearing a coconut body lotion is enough to set me off. A mild smell of it triggers vomiting. This has been the case since I was young. I avoid any foods containing coconut oil or milk. I also have gastrointestinal issues with products containing palm oil. I cannot use any nut products as they cause gastrointestinal issues but the nut side is meant to be linked to my skin/contact allergies-Nickel , Cobalt and Balsam. Research says if you have more than one allergy then you are more likely to continue to develop other allergies as your body reacts, the more frequent the reactions the more likely you are to develop other allergies. Good luck!

6 posts