Alcohol allergies

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
daniijas

by daniijas on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Alcohol allergies

Is there any way to find out if I'm allergic to alcohol?
I had 3 pints the other night and spent the next day in agony and being sick. This is the first time I've been like this after drinking only a little apart from when I'd had 1 1/2 pints and spent the next day with a really bad headache. I'm aware that it might be something within the alcohol, rather than the alcohol but my doctor has told me the nhs don't test for these allergies!
Thanks for any help.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Alcohol allergies

You could certainly Google 'sulphites' and 'sulphates' as these are present in lots of alcohol. You can also read more in one of our further reading articles about sulphites - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/ta ... lphite.php

I hope this helps.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

healthcare247

by healthcare247 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:04 am

Well allergy to alcohol is rarely seen but if you are getting regular episodes of headache, fever then you must not get try and test yourself for even small amount of alcohol. You can try and change the brand with lower percentage or with the mild alcohol containing braveries.

Bike2Live

by Bike2Live on Sat May 02, 2015 7:51 am

It's possible that you could be allergic to ingredients involved in the fermentation process.
if you have allergies to foods like potatoes, you could certainly have similar reactions after drinking vodka. The same could be said for beer (barley, hops, pilsner wheat) whiskey (corn is usually the base), tequila (agave nectar), mead (honey), wine or brandy (grapes), etc.
If say you're sensitive to tomatoes, I'd recommend not drinking a Bloody Mary.
My last thought is that if certain types of fungus tend to give you trouble, it could be an allergy to brewing yeast, which is a commonly used ingredient in almost all types of alcohol used to speed up the fermentation process as an alternative to using heat to initiate natural fermentation. If you haven't already, ask an allergist about being tested for allergies using blood samples. Not only is blood testing a more reliable method of allergy testing, but in my own experience,it also has also provided more data in terms of sensitivity results, even down to individual strains of mold and fungus spores. Even if you don't do so well when it comes to getting stuck with needles, it's well worth it in the end.
Best of luck to you going forward.

bertyolmer

by bertyolmer on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:22 am

well, alcohol are high in histamine and this could be also a reason for feeling sick after a long night.
We are discussing here the facts and don't have to forget anything ;)

The get a diagnosis you have to see an allergist. He'll make a common blood test.

If you are really histamine intolerant, I really recommend DAOSIN! It avoids the allergic reactions within your body. Basicly it controls your histamine level ;)

best wishes
berty

5 posts