transitioning onto cows milk..

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
tuppatea

by tuppatea on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:30 am

transitioning onto cows milk..

Hi All

My daughter is just over 18mnths now, I tried introduction to trace milk powder (digestive biccy) as per dieticians instruction's at 1 yr but she didn't take to it well.

I have just over a week ago, started on the biccys again and its going well...she has been haiving 1 malted milk a day and no blood in poo/stomach cramps etc. what should she have next??? I imagine raw milk would be the final step...

petermcculloch

by petermcculloch on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: transitioning onto cows milk..

For 'peace-of-mind' you could always consider buying a Milk Allergy test kit to check out your daughter at home. If negative, then you would have more confidence at transitioning to cows milk, but if positive, then you will be alerted to go and visit your GP.
Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL promoting a specific test deleted. Overt promotion in our forums is not permitted - see forum rules.

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:08 am

The dietician should be able to give you a detailed plan for this. My son is waiting for a date for his baked milk challenge at hosptal. It starts with a mcvities digestive biscuit fo the first challenge and then a malted milk a few weeks after for the second challenge. Each step uses a food that has slightly more milk in it. It will be a long process for my son as each step has to be carried out in hospital as he is ana to fresh milk.

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 am

I forgot to add that the net step after the malted milk bicuits for my son is a cake. The hospital provides the recipe for us so that it has the right amount of dairy in it and so that it is baked for the correct amount of time.

killdill045

by killdill045 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 am

1 malted milk a day and no blood in poo/stomach cramps etc. what should she have next???

jacck123

by jacck123 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 am

hiii
welcome to this forum site , here you can find so many interesting answer of the questions, and increase our knowledge also. Actually Babies can't digest cow's milk as completely or easily as breast milk because Cow's milk contains high concentrations of protein and minerals and Cow's milk doesn't have the right amounts of iron.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed due to limitations

Dr Kate Swan

by Dr Kate Swan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Dear Tuppatea,

That's great that your daughter has tolerated a malted milk biscuit. Your dietitian should have given you information about the milk ladder. If she had a delayed (non-IgE) allergy to milk, she can progress up the milk ladder. http://cowsmilkallergyguidelines.co.uk/ ... lk-ladder/

If she had positive skin prick tests or IgE to milk, she would need to be re-tested before reintroducing milk. It sounds like a non-IgE response if she had blood in her stool and abdominal pain originally.

I would advise you talk this through with your dietitian again.

I hope that helps.
Dr Kate Swan
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... e_swan.php

7 posts