Getting medical help/advice for allergies - HELP!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
lauraclaire87

by lauraclaire87 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Getting medical help/advice for allergies - HELP!

So over the past eight years I have been having allergic reactions to food that get more severe every time I'm exposed. I think I am allergic to peanuts but not 100% sure and have not been allergy tested.

As they started getting more severe a year ago, I went to the doctors who just recommended I keep a food diary. Yesterday, I had the worst one I ever had and came close to passing out. It was only because I was finally able to bring up the offending food that I didn't, although my allergic reaction lasted for a couple of hours and I felt terrible all day.

I don't want to trouble my GP unnecessarily, but I am keen to get some form off allergy testing so I know exactly what is causing this. I was genuinely scared yesterday.

Does anyone know the best way to go about requesting allergy testing or getting more information? I do not think I am at the EPIPen stage, but knowing exactly what I should be avoiding would help no end.

lyndsey1111

by lyndsey1111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: Getting medical help/advice for allergies - HELP!

Hi there, I'm new here but didn't want to read and run.
If it's anything like when I take my little boy to our gp regarding his skin/allergies you may as we'll talk to the wall!
I would just advise making an appointment with your gp, explain what's happened and that each reaction is getting worse and pretty much demand to be referred (I'm slowly learning that WE have to be in control otherwise gps just fob us off!)
I hope you get some help and advice soon.
Lyndsey x

3 posts