Possible systemic nickel reaction??

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
lizbeth76

by lizbeth76 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 am

Possible systemic nickel reaction??

Hi all,

I've had pretty poor health over the last decade or so.... poor resistance to infection (yeast, gastro etc), food intolerances, sore muscles and joints. I'm a nutritionist so obviously have been doing everything right in terms of diet and have been on countless medications both conventional and alternative.

I have been reading about holistic dentistry lately and never thought it really applied to me as I have no fillings BUT I do have a fixed retainer wire that has been on the back of my bottom teeth for 19 years. I'm assuming this wire is a nickel alloy and that I am also sensitive to nickel because i can't wear certain earrings w/out reacting to them. I'm looking into getting the wire removed at the moment but was wondering whether any one had any input into whether this wire is enough to be significantly contributing to my poor immune function and other symptoms. I tend to get my hopes up about certain things and then get bitterly disappointed. Any input would be appreciated.
Liz

Sally

by Sally on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Possible systemic nickel reaction??

Hello Liz - I've not heard anything about this at all but it is really interesting. I can see your post was made some time ago - did you have the retainer removed and have things improved. It would be really good to know.

Judith

by Judith on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I have had constant swelling, inflammation and pain after a total knee replacement. Eighteen months after the surgery I was tested for allergies. It was determined that I have a reaction to nickel which is a metal used in the replacement. The doctor is advising that I have a revision using a different metal. If I choose to keep the present knee, will I be damaging my body with the nickel? I have read one source that indicates the nickel will erode bone and travel through the blood stream damaging organs.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Judith
So sorry to hear your story, what was your outcome?
Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

IsabellaSB

by IsabellaSB on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi I know it is being almost two years since you post in here, but i thought it would be important to share my story. Im Isabella, I'm 18 years old. When I was 13 I started getting blisters, and rashes all over my body until the point that i lost all my legs skin, I was constantly bleeding from my legs and arms (because of the blisters), I even had to be in a wheelchair because I didn't have skin so i wasn't able to walk or move. After a year and half of biopsies and different treatments my doctors concluded that I have a systemic nickel allergy as you may know it means that I can not basically eat, wear or touch anything that contains nickel which sadly is present in almost everything especially on food.
At that moment I had braces, and when they were removed I started feeling a little better, also after a long time of trial and error diet, I can now say that I'm a "normal" person again, all my skin has been regenerated and with my diet, medicines and other cares I've being able to live a "normal" life. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anyone of you need help on systemic or contact nickel allergy; have any questions, comments, concerns please do not hesitate to ask. :)

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:27 am

IsabellaSB - thank you for sharing your story with us. So pleased you are better. This is a really interesting topic. The British Dental Foundation have a blog on our site - might be worth putting a post on one of their relevant blogs to see what they say. You can visit our blog here http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

RocketGirl

by RocketGirl on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Isabella, this is for you, and everyone that suffers from nickel allergy. I also suffer from nickel allergy (not systemic though, I just have to wear nickel free items). I don't know how true it is, but I read about a possible way to cure nickel allergy. I am looking further into it, but it is something called Psorizide Forte. Apparently it is used to de-sensitize the allergic reaction.

So sorry to hear about your condition, I have never heard of it before and my heart goes out to you ;(.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unauthorised URL promoting external site - See forum rules.

7 posts