Penicillin

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Sally

by Sally on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Penicillin

My daughter is allergic to penicillin. We only discovered this when she had it to treat infected eczema. Now we are limited to the antibiotics we can use. Is anyone else in the same boat?

phoenix1

by phoenix1 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Penicillin

I used to have a penicillin allergy but over time I have grown out of it so it is definitely worth checking your daughter again in a couple of years time to see if the allergy is still there. Good luck.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Dear Sally,

It is important to know whether your child is allergic to Penicillin or not as as you said otherwise this restricts the number and type of antibiotics she can have. Penicillin allergy can be tested for using skin prick tests, blood tests and then finally confirmed or ruled out by coming into hospital and giving your child Penicillin under close supervision. Most children have negative Penicillin challenges and are therefore confirmed as not Penicillin allergic and can continue to use Penicillin-type antibiotics. However it is important that this is tested for formally in hospital in an Allergy Centre that offers this kind of service. We offer this service at St. Thomas' Hospital Children's Allergy Service which you GP could refer your daughter to. Other Children's Allergy Centres also offer a drug allergy service. Your GP will be able to advise you locally.

Kind regards,

Dr Helen A Brough MA MBBS MRCPCH
Clinical Lecturer in Paediatric Allergy
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

hayfever queen

by hayfever queen on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm also allergic to Penicillin. Have been all my life pretty much - or at least since I was a tot. I didn't realise I could be tested to see if I am still allergic - I might see if I can have this done as being allergic to penicillin does restrict what antibiotics I can have, and means I only really have them when I absolutely need them as I'm terrified if I have them too often I could become resistant to them working properly.

Will see if I can get some tests done. Thanks.

markrusell

by markrusell on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah it is important that this is activated for formally in hospital in an Allergy Center that offers this affectionate of service. We action this account at St. Thomas' Hospital Children's Allergy Account which you GP could accredit your babe to.

sunnyy24

by sunnyy24 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:06 pm

hello. can u help me.

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello Sunnyy24 - thank you for posting in the forum. How can we help you?
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

7 posts