Bed ulcers

Post your older skin questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:11 am

Bed ulcers

Guest post TH member

'Hello - I'm not sure if this is the right place to get advice but my elderly mother, who is in a care home, has developed a bed ulcer on her heel. She does have mobility issues and will regularly spend days in her bed but she is cared for by the staff very well. I want to make sure that the one on her heel doesn't get worse or to make sure she doesn't get any more on her body. Is there anything I can do? Or advice I can give to her carers? Thanks '
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

saritasingh@doctors.org.uk

by saritasingh@doctors.org.uk on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: Bed ulcers

Hello

I am sorry to hear about the ulcer on your mother's heel. I would advise you to get it seen to by her GP as ulcers on the heel are not always due to pressure and other causes must be excluded. Your GP will also take some swabs to check that it isn't infected. Regarding managing the ulcer, good wound care and appropriate dressings (e.g. allevyn) are required - the best person to advise would be a district nurse or your local tissue viability nurse (you should be able to get a referral via your GP). If this is indeed a pressure ulcer, the best way to prevent ulceration is to keep pressure areas well moisturised with a thick ointment-based emollient and regular turning if bed-bound. Special pressure relieving mattresses are also available.

2 posts