Ageing skin

Post your older skin questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
junieju2

by junieju2 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Ageing skin

My skin has wrinkles and lack of firmness.
A few age spots and very sensitive skin.
I have IBS and have menopausal symptoms.

I am a vegetarian, but my diet is not good, due to IBS.

I look ill most of the time.

Finding face creams make up etc is very difficult, because
Of my sensitive skin.

Any advice please

Many thanks
Junie

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Ageing skin

Dear Junie,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a question. I am uncertain of your age so I will talk in general about possible treatment options.

Wrinkles
The most effective way of treating wrinkles in the upper half of the face (forehead, frown lines, crow's feet) is with Botulinum toxin A injections. These work by relaxing the culprit muscles causing the lines. The effects are temporary and only last three months so need to be repeated at regular intervals to maintain effect. Botox can also be used to treat lines around the mouth (perioral lines).

Lack of firmness/sagging
Skin sagging occurs due to loss of volume in the fat compartments of the face and loss of bone in the face with age. This is usually treated with dermal fillers which are injected to replace the volume that is lost. The most common agent used is hyaluronic acid. Fillers can last anywhere between 6 months to 2 years depending on the product used.

There are also medical devices that can be used to improve sagging of the skin e.g. ulthera is an ultrasound device that can be used to lift and tighten the skin of the lower face and neck; thermage is a radio frequency device that can tighten the skin.

Skin Quality
If the problem is with the texture of the skin, or the skin has become wrinkly or crepey then resurfacing laser treatments can be used to improve the quality of the skin.

Creams
Creams that contain hyaluronic acid can temporarily improve fine lines. Hyaluronic acid is a powerful humectant (attracts water) and hydrates the skin effectively - this temporarily makes the skin look plumper when for applied improving the appearance of fine lines.

There are no creams to my knowledge that can successfully deal with sagging that occurs due to the ageing process, I'm afraid. Much of what you see is clever marketing.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts