internal /external skin nutrition

Post your older skin questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gainsboroughgirl

by gainsboroughgirl on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm

internal /external skin nutrition

Hi.
I have long standing ME, a history of severe IBS and am now menopausal and having a rough time of this. My diet though not unhealthy, is limited due to the digestion issues and my excercise levels are low due to the ME and fatigue. So, taking supplements may be a waste of money (it may be anyway) but if not digesting properly, may not help my skin. There are countless creams on the market but is it really possible to 'feed' the skin from the outside? If so, what should I be looking for please (beyond the obvious sun screen and hydration factors)?

saritasingh@doctors.org.uk

by saritasingh@doctors.org.uk on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: internal /external skin nutrition

Hello

I am sorry that you are having a rough time with your medical problems. Apart from following a balanced diet rich in antioxidants and omega 3, I would recommend choosing products (e.g. serums and creams) that contain vitamin C (a great antioxidant) and hyaluronic acid, which can help to reduce the signs of ageing and protect from further damage. There are a number of different products that contain these, so I would recommend asking for samples to try and ascertain what suits you - the most expensive products are not necessarily the best despite various claims!

Dr Nisith Sheth

by Dr Nisith Sheth on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: internal /external skin nutrition

Great advice from Dr Singh. In addition to this retinoids such as retinol or retinoic acid have been shown to be effective. There is some evidence that other antioxidants such as co enzyme Q10 and niacinamide have anti ageing properties. A board certified consultant dermatologist with an interest in cosmetic dermatology can give more individual advice.
Dr Nisith Sheth
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _sheth.php

3 posts