Strange vaginal discharge and other things

If you have questions about any aspects of the menopause or perimenopause, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 pm

Strange vaginal discharge and other things

Since menopause , 15 years ago (age 53) about once a year I will get a vaginal discharge which looks blood stained. In fact I had the last one a few days ago and it was accompanied by mild period cramps. I have had quite a few trans vaginal scans since then and the odd colposcopy but nothing is ever found. The last trans vaginal scan I had was probably abut 6 months ago . The nurse who did it said she could see that there was some liquid floating around in the womb but not enough to bother about. In the past , I have even had bright green discharge and again been told there was nothing to be seen after a trans vaginal scan . During a colposcopy at this time I think I was told that the green discharge came from glands in the cervix.

Why am I still getting these now slightly blood stained discharges? Is it because menopause is not complete as I still, after 15 years am experiencing hot flushes and night sweats. I also get 2 hour sleep stints which started at the cessation of my periods.

A weird thing I have noticed about my hot flushes is that I go thirsty and very hungry just before a daytime flush. The hunger ceases when the flush does. With the night time ones - I wake , go thirsty ,(have a sip of water) then have a flush during which I have a pressure on my bladder which means I have to get up and urinate. If I don't that pressure stops when the flush ceases. Which hormone is causing this?

Sorry about all the questions but I would appreciate answers from an expert. Thank you.

Mr Jonathan Broome

by Mr Jonathan Broome on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Strange vaginal discharge and other things

Hello

The blood stained discharge is an easy one to answer, you're having an occasional period! It's not unusual for the ovaries to undergo the odd 'menstrual cycle' after the menopause resulting in a little bleed, this would also explain the pelvic cramps and often breast tenderness can occur ( pretty much all the symptoms associated with a normal menstrual cycle) Whilst any 'post menopausal bleeding' needs to be investigated, an ultrasound scan showing a thin endometrial lining <4mm is reassuring, besides your bleeding pattern of once a year doesn't ring any alarm bells unlike a more persistent spotting/bleed on a daily or weekly basis which could signify something more sinister and needs urgent referral to a gynaecologist.

You're right, the thirsty/hungry thing is weird!

Regards
Mr Jonathan Broome
Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon - MB ChB, MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... broome.php

2 posts