mirena coil

If you have questions about any aspects of the menopause or perimenopause, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JulesSMills

by JulesSMills on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 pm

mirena coil

Hi everyone. I had a Mirena coil fitted 30th April 2012 - due to my cervix being bent I had to have it inserted under general anaesthetic. I am currently waiting for an appointment to arrange taking it out, again under general anaesthetic. I had it fitted after GP recommendation for my extremely heavy periods and while I did continue to have periods for 6 months and every other month or so after, they were very light but still lasted for a week. I had no bleeding/spotting for 10 months then started again but I have had nothing for 14 months now. Is it possible this is entirely due to the coil or could I be in menopause now and no more bleeding? :D Will I have to "just wait and see" after it has been removed? Thanks for any help with this.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: mirena coil

You haven't mentioned your age, but until the coil is removed, we won't know for sure. However, you could have your FSH and estrogen levels checked by blood test which could guide you as well. Question for you - why remove the coil rather than replace it? if you do go on to need HRT then the mirena could provide the progesterone part and then you could use an estrogen cream or patch instead of a tablet.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts