Prolapse surgery

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
redmaggie

by redmaggie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Prolapse surgery

Hello,
I am a slim and active 59 year old. Following a traumatic first delivery with forceps at 27 years old (and 2 more big babies) I have had recurrent problems with prolapse and am now awaiting uterosacropexy plus pelvic floor repair + probably rectocele/cystocele repair.

I had a Manchester repair 28 year ago, plus more vaginal repairs 4 years ago. Despite the severity, I declined to have vaginal mesh inserted at the last op since I was not comfortable with the risks involved. However, those repairs didn't last long! So, I have a couple of questions:

Q 1. Can you tell me what the success rate is with the uterosacropexy?
Q 2. What are the risks of painful intercourse afterwards? I already have problems due to a short, tight perineum ( my Dr described it as deficient) plus vaginal length is really very short.
I'm now using vagifem 5x weekly as Dr directs.

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your reply!
Maggie

Mr Jonathan Broome

by Mr Jonathan Broome on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Prolapse surgery

Hello

I'm very pleased to hear you're having a uterosacropexy, its going to become the gold standard for correcting uterine prolapse (NICE approved) instead of the often performed vaginal hysterectomy/repair which unfortunately is still being performed for this problem and in my view is much less effective. It should help lengthen the vagina and correct any existing vaginal wall laxity.

Success rate should be 100%

The mesh is attached to the back of the womb/cervix and shouldn't cause any problems whatsoever especially with intercourse, unlike 'vaginal mesh' which should only be used as a last resort to correct recurrent prolapse as it can cause a number of serious problems.

Feel free to have a look at a video of this operation on my website www.thepelvicclinic.co.uk

Regards
Mr Jonathan Broome
Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon - MB ChB, MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... broome.php

2 posts