The period rollercoaster

If you have questions relating to any aspect of menstruation, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:46 am

The period rollercoaster

Hi,
I'm in my late thirties. My periods were always about 30 days apart,lasted five days. Three very heavy days and two slightly lighter ones. Would suffer with the usual cramps. Not on the pill, not something I want to take.
In the last couple of years they are happening every 24-26 days and only lasting 3 days. Much lighter overall but bizarrely often start to gush blood during the night which wakes me up.
There are a lot of new symptoms now. I get a severe migraine with nausea the day before or the first day of my period. Just before I also get a sore throat and feel like I am coming down with a cold.come out in little bruises on my arms and legs. My bladder becomes overactive.My stomach becomes ultra sensitive and I have diarrhoea for the duration. My joints ache and I feel dreadful. I know there are changes in the lead up to menopause but this is a big change.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: The period rollercoaster

I would ask your GP to refer you for a pelvic ultrasound scan as well as some bloods (FSH, LH, Estrogen etc, perhaps thyroid function) during days 2-5 of your cycle.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Got those hormones checked 6 months ago though not on days 2-5 and told all okay. Am hypothyroid on treatment for four years told numbers good so all okay too.
Had mri that incidentally showed 3cm right cyst and it was there again on a follow up ultrasound but told too small to cause any pain. Have had five years of right ovary pain but never had anything show till now. But long story short no answers.

Mr Jonathan Broome

by Mr Jonathan Broome on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Hello
Think it's a bit early to blame it on the lead up to the menopause!
Ovarian function can change as you get older which would alter your cycle length (hormone tests aren't particularly helpful as there's a huge 'normal' range and you're bound to fall within this range even though they're probably abnormal for you) The other pelvic symptoms (bladder/diarrhoea, heavy day 1 bleed) could be due venous engorgement/pelvic congestion or endometriosis/adenomyosis. Although the persistent ovarian cyst is small and unlikely to be causing any local physical problems (we don't usually get too excited about ovarian cysts until they get to 5cm) I think in the absence of anything else it might be throwing your cycle out of kilter and may be responsible for your problems, it's not always size that matters if it's interfering with normal ovarian function/hormonal production. Might be worth a referral to your local gynaecologist for consideration of a laparoscopy.
Regards
Mr Jonathan Broome
Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon - MB ChB, MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... broome.php

Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for your informative reply. I did have a laparoscopy six years ago to check for endometriosis. I had an adhesion removed which I was told had stuck my ovary to my small intestine and then to my bowel wall. I was told I didn't have endometriosis. It did give me some relief.
I have been told by a couple of radiologists who were doing pelvic ultrasounds since that I should get another opinion as there was little else that would do that other than endometriosis. I had never had surgery before that.

Mr Radwan Faraj

by Mr Radwan Faraj on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 am

Hi

I suggest to have a gynaecology opinion as we may consider further imaging like MRI of the pelvis. If your pain worse with the periods, I may consider repeat laparoscopy and do thorough assessment as you said you had a laparoscopy 6 years ago.. We should not always blame adhesions as a cause of all problems. A trial of simple pills for 3 months worth trying. Your GP would repeat your blood tests for full blood count/ FSH/LH/Ca125

all the best

Mr R Faraj
www.faraj-gynaecology.co.uk
Mr Radwan Faraj
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _faraj.php

6 posts