Newly diagnosed with rosacea in late 30's

Post your questions about Rosacea here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 am

Newly diagnosed with rosacea in late 30's

Posted on behalf of talkhealth community member#
Hi - I have recently been diagnosed with rosacea, I am in my late 30's and female. I'm really worried about getting rhinophyma, I know its rare for women to get it but my rosacea mainly affects my nose and I get a lot of spots in this area so wondered if I might be at risk?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Newly diagnosed with rosacea in late 30's

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are worrying about the possibility of rhinophyma, a chronic swelling of the nose that can be associated with rosacea.

You are absolutely right that rhinophyma is much more common in men than women. There have been a few cases of rhinophyma in women, but it is rare. So the likelihood is that you won't get it, which is great!

It's important to keep your rosacea under control, because uncontrolled inflammation may lead to more permanent changes in the skin.

Optimise your lifestyle - protect from UV, don't smoke, minimise alcohol and eat healthily. Keep skin care gentle. Then see your GP to discuss medical creams - antibiotics, azelaic acid or topical ivermectin or even oral antibiotics if it's more severe.

Hope that helps.

Good luck and best wishes,
Dr Emma
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: Newly diagnosed with rosacea in late 30's

Thank you for your question and Dr Emma has given you a great reply! Rhinophyma is indeed uncommon in women but can be treated with laser and surgical therapy should it develop.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

3 posts