Rosacea and Blepharitis

Post your questions about Rosacea here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
badders.ss

by badders.ss on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:13 am

Rosacea and Blepharitis

Hello, I have been diagnosed with Rosacea for many years and the past 2 year I have been dealing with persisent cysts around my left eye lid.

Once the GP realised I had a mild case of Rosacea she declared that there was nothing that could be done for me and that this was due to the Rosacea and I had to manage the cysts as best I could.

To say that they are unsightly at their worse would be an understatement and sometimes I find it hard to leave the house because of them.

My question is, why does a skin condition that is so mild across the bridge or my nose that is controlled by a metronidazole gel, affect my eye and is the GP correct that there is nothing that can be done to prevent the blepharitis.

Thank you for your time.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Rosacea and Blepharitis

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you are suffering.

I think some people suffer more with their eyes and others with their skin and it's difficult to know exactly why.

I'm not sure if you've had any treatment already? Treatment of blepharitis starts with simple measures like lid cleaning and warm compresses. I'm sure you've already tried these. Then your Gp can prescribe some antibiotic eye ointments, but if the condition is severe, oral antibiotics (tetracyclines) can be very helpful.

If you are not winning with this, I would discuss with your Gp about the possible of referring you to an ophthalmologist (eye doctor). They'd be able to make sure rosacea blepharitis is the correct diagnosis and advise on treatment.

It sounds like this is having a big impact on your life, so I'd urge to discuss this further with your doctor and hopefully find a way to move forward.Good luck and best wishes,

Dr Emma
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts