Stress and ibs c

If you have questions about constipation or diarrhoea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
prue1956

by prue1956 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Stress and ibs c

I have struggled withibs c for about 18 years now but ive had so much stress in my life my anxiety is through the roof for which itake diazepam 3 times a day amitriptylene for sciatica and have arthrits inthe bottom of my back.
I cannot tolerate much veg but i only like peas and carrots and for fruit just straeberries so as you can see my diet is not very good.
My ibs moves about inmy right side froma tight chest all the way to my groin somedays i dont know where to put myself.

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Stress and ibs c

Hi, you sound like you're having a difficult time. It might be worth considering a talking therapy. This might help you with your anxiety, and also with making behavioural changes that might improve your diet and how you manage stress. A talking therapy can also help with pain management. To access a talking therapy in your area you could speak to your GP, search the internet for local organisations and charities in your area such as Mind, or look on the counselling-directory.org.uk. Good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

Dr Neil Galletly

by Dr Neil Galletly on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Stress and ibs c

It might be worth asking your GP to refer you to a dietician to see if anything can be done to improve your diet and your IBS symptoms. I wonder if the amitryptiline could also be worsening your constipation - perhaps it might be worth having a chat with your GP about this?

Good luck

Neil Galletly
Dr Neil Galletly
Consultant Gastroenterologist - MA MBBS FRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lletly.php

3 posts