Bloated stomach

Ask our experts your questions to do with IBS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Roxichik

by Roxichik on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Bloated stomach

Hi There,
I was diagnosed with IBS many, many years ago.
The food that affects me - sorted.
What I have to take to help me go and stop me if I need it - sorted.
The enormous stomach I have that blows up so people offer me seats, not sorted.
I don't have wind but I do have sounds.
My stomach is hard all the time and I now have to wear pregnancy clothes.
I had a spinal MRI recently and no mass was found in that area so that is good news.
BUT how do I stop my Mr Blobby impression?
Thanks x

Dr Neil Galletly

by Dr Neil Galletly on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Bloated stomach

Hi there

Bloating is a really common symptom - but can be frustratingly difficult to treat. I assume the bloating has been there ever since you have been diagnosed with IBS - but if it is a new or recent symptom you may want to see your GP for a few tests first.

I would recommend seeing a dietician again. I know you have identified the foods that cause your IBS symptoms but a lot of foods, particularly if they are being fermented by bacteria in your gut, can produce gas in your intestines. Peppermint oil capsules can help (take 1 or 2, 3 times per day) - they are called either Mintec or Colpermin. Probiotics may be useful. I have patients who swear by Aloe Vera juice or charcoal biscuits/tablets to treat their bloating - although there is less strong scientific evidence for these last two to recommend their use.

Hope this helps!

Neil Galletly
Dr Neil Galletly
Consultant Gastroenterologist - MA MBBS FRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lletly.php

Roxichik

by Roxichik on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Bloated stomach

Thankyou for your answer. I have tried all the things you mentioned including aloe vera tablets but my stomach is still huge. I guess I will have to learn to live with it and just shop in the 'mama' section.

3 posts