artificial nutrition

Do you have any questions about artificial nutrition? Put your questions to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
beverly evans

by beverly evans on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm

artificial nutrition

Hi I am a Total parental nutrition patient feeding 7 nights per week .I have Total Gut Dysmotility on the CIPO spectrum.
I am just asking your experts are there any new dare I say it cures/ surgical options on the horizon for my I believe quite rare condition . I suffer from lots of bowel spasm, Buscopan is of little help, lots of days of chronic diarrhea, bloating , plus reflux etc :x

Any new developments , helpful hints would be gladly welcomed

thanks

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: artificial nutrition

A lot of the current research is aimed at the pathophysiology ie understanding the disease, as it is still poorly understood. Generally the role of surgery has remained controversial such as bypass surgery and has a limited role. Sometimes venting surgical or endoscopic procedures can help with symptoms.There is some data on the use of small bowel transplantation in patients with CIPO - but mainly in patients with irreversible complications of TPN. This is also major surgery and not without its own complications. Medications which help to stimulate gastrointestinal motility have a varying degree of efficacy and like opiate painkillers, can lose their effects with time and be associated with a number of complications. There are some gastrointestinal electrical stimulation devices, however the results have been quite variable and this remains a rather controversial area.
I would recommending visiting the PORT website Pseudo Obstruction Research Trust to keep up to date on current research areas: http://www.port-charity.org.uk/
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts