Teenage spots and potential bullying

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 am

Teenage spots and potential bullying

Question from Jenny:
My daughter has just turned 13 and started to get quite bad spots. I’ve tried to talk to her about a good skin care routine but she doesn’t seem interested. I had spots when I was younger and was bullied at school so I’m so desperate for her to get on top of her skin so she doesn’t get bullied. Help!
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Teenage spots and potential bullying

Dear Jenny,

Many thanks for your question.

This is a bit of a tricky situation and I am unable to gauge whether your daughter herself is troubled by her skin or not. What I would suggest, however, is that maybe worthwhile having a chat with her and explaining your concerns about her skin and also the potential risk of scarring.

She would benefit from cleansing her skin twice daily - morning and evening - ideally with products made for acne-prone or oily skin (look for ingredients such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide). You mention her spots are "quite bad" so it might be an idea to take her to your GP who can make some sort of assessment of skin and advise appropriately.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

tigermomuk

by tigermomuk on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Teenage spots and potential bullying

Clear skin does not, in itself, protect children from bullying. Do help her manage her skincare routine but also focus on her confidence levels. With good self-confidence, and a mom that's got her back, she'll be just fine - with or without acne. :)

3 posts