Adult acne

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Charlotte1222

by Charlotte1222 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Adult acne

Hi, I am a 23 year old woman who has suffered with bad acne over the past 5 years. I have tried many treatment over the years such as: all types of creams, antibiotics, pills, blue/red light therapies, roaccutane and recently N Lite laser therapy. The roaccutane was the only treatment that worked for me. I stayed on the drug for around 4 months and I had to stop taking it due to the side effects. The roaccutane worked and I had good skin for a year until it all came back again last September. I've seen 3 different dermatologists who have ran out of solutions because I am unable to take regular antibiotics/ go back on the roaccutane (due to other health conditions.) My acne has a big impact on my mental health and confidence.
I'm just wondering if there is anything else you could suggest?

Thank you

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: Adult acne

Dear Charlotte122,

I'm very sorry to hear about the longstanding trouble you have had with your skin. I am not certain whether you have tried a medication known as spironolactone? This can be very helpful for female adult acne and may be worth discussing with your dermatologist. The other alternatives include low-dose roaccutane (which usually does not cause too many issues with side effects), or combination therapy with lasers and chemical peels or a light treatment known as photodynamic therapy.

I think there are probably still a number of options for you to try so please don't give up hope!

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts