PCOS/ENDO/SPOTS & Sport

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
cluckyhen

by cluckyhen on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am

PCOS/ENDO/SPOTS & Sport

As a woman of 36 I didn't really start with spots until my late 20's, when I was diagnosed with PCOS and Endometriosis. Since I started training 18 mths ago I have started to suffer terribly with large, deep, red cystic spots on my back, particularly down the spine (the ones on my face are whiteheads that recur over and over)

What can I do to help these as obviously it is a hard to reach area and I know that sweating isn't helping - but they are large and painful and my gp is unwilling to treat my PCOS as I do not want children and just says the spots are related to this. One of these spots just seems to keep going - I've had it for 8 weeks now!

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: PCOS/ENDO/SPOTS & Sport

Dear Cluckyhen,

Thanks for your question. I suspect your acne is being driven by your underlying PCOS and there are a number of things I would suggest.

1. Spironolactone - this is an oral medication that can be extremely effective for acne in the context of PCOS and acne in adulthood so sounds like a good idea in view of the fact you are getting cystic spots.

2. You mention you are "training" - do you take protein supplements or drinks? If yes, then please bear in mind that whey protein is still essentially dairy - in a small select group of people, this may potentially have a role to play in acne formation. Consider switching to rice, pea or another vegan protein supplement in this case.

3. Ensure that you are showering straight after exercise. Sweat, increased body temperature, and tight synthetic clothing result in occlusion of skin and may also drive acne. If you are unable to shower immediately, then keep some face wipes containing salicylic acid and zinc (sorry, I can't mention brands!) in your gym bag and use these to wipe down sweaty areas as the next best alternative.

4. Use body washes that contain salicylic acid to cleanse your back in the shower.

I hope this helps and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts