What products should I be looking for?

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am

What products should I be looking for?

On behalf of Belinda...
Hello - I’ve suffered with spots and pimples on an off for a number of years. I’ve tried lots of different products which I’ve bought in my local chemist and nothing seems to work. So I’ve just put up with it. But lately the spots are coming back more regularly (could be stress?).

I’d like to try something else but feel disillusioned with what’s on offer. Lots of the products I’ve tried claim to treat spots but they’ve not worked and I think the manufacturers put these sorts of words on the packaging to encourage you to buy it whether it works or not.

What sort of product should I be looking for? Any help in what sort of product I should be looking for would help. Cheers.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: What products should I be looking for?

Dear Belinda,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a question and i understand your frustration at the lack of reliable and consistent advice around skincare.

Good acne skincare is more about the ingredients than the products. Good skincare need not be expensive. I would aim to look for cleansers and moisturisers or leave-on toners which contain the following agents:
salicylic acid
niacinamide
glycolic acid
tea tree oil
benzoyl peroxide
lactobionic acid
zinc
retinol
retinyl propionate

If despite the regular use of these agents, you are still not getting on top of your skin, i would suggest it is time to seek medical advice. You may need a prescription agent (cream or tablet) to help.

I hope that helps and best of luck.

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts