Lumpy acne / scarring

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Humi1986

by Humi1986 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:51 am

Lumpy acne / scarring

Hey
I've been suffering from acne for a while now and I believe one of the main causes is my diet. Eating unhealthily is the main reason why I get it. I can't help but pick at them with my nails too which causes horrible scarring. Is there something you'd recommend which would prevent me from picking at them? It's got to the stage where I end up using products simply to rid of these marks. I'd also like to know what causes lump like spots on my face? They're reoccurring.

Dr Ed Seaton

by Dr Ed Seaton on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Lumpy acne / scarring

Hello,

Thank you so much for your question. It's very interesting to hear about the possible link that you have noticed between food and your acne. Dermatologists used to think that there was no link between diet and acne, but this was based on some very small studies. Since then there are some studies which have shown a possible link between dairy products and acne and also what we call low-glycaemic index carbohydrates (basically white flour/bread, pasta and rice rather than wholemeal/ brown versions). However these studies are also fairly limited and we still can't be sure that there is a clear link between diet and acne. In practice unfortunately changing diet often doesn't seem to make much difference to individual patients, unless diet is unhealthy.

Scratching at acne lesions is really common, in fact is has its own name- acne excoriee. The problem with scratching is that it causes red marks and shallow ulcers that take ages to heal. its really important to stop scratching and try to reverse the habit. Try making a note in a book or a phone every time you catch yourself doing it to try to take control of your scratching. Also involve friends and family to tell you when they catch you touching your spots. Reduce the amount of time you spend looking in a mirror. It really sounds as if you would benefit from seeing a dermatologist or a GP to get your acne under complete control, This should be very possible on the right treatment.

Best wishes

Dr Ed Seaton
Dr Ed Seaton
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... seaton.php

2 posts