What causes acne?

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Dendarn01

by Dendarn01 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 pm

What causes acne?

Is it diet?
Not washing your face properly?, or often enough?
Not using the "right" products?
I'm just curious.
Growing up I was conscious of it, at school and later on in 20's.
Now skin has matured and the condition isn't bad, but though, not noticeable, I can, at times, feel some on my face. Especially if mother nature is due, or I've eaten too much sweets, or dairy, stuff.

Dr Ed Seaton

by Dr Ed Seaton on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: What causes acne?

Hello,

Thanks for your question. There are whole textbooks dealing with this (!) but to summarise...

Diet is not usually the cause of acne, unless it is very unhealthy. Stress can make it worse as can use of oils or clogging moisturising creams. But the main cause is probably your genes- just the way you are made! It usually starts when hormone levels go up around puberty. This causes oil production in the skin to go up, and high oil production is associated with acne. The next thing that happens is slight overgrowth of skin cells at the top of the hair follicle duct causing blockage leading to blackheads and whiteheads and tiny whiteheads called microcomedones. A bacterium called P. acnes overgrows in the blocked duct and then your immune system reacts to the bug causing inflammation and red spots.

It is a very treatable problem so do see your GP or a dermatologist for help.

Best wishes

Dr Ed Seaton
Dr Ed Seaton
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... seaton.php

2 posts