Acne on back of neck and on scalp

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AlisonJane

by AlisonJane on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Acne on back of neck and on scalp

I have a lot of problems with acne on the back of my neck and up onto my scalp. Although there are products for the skin on my neck I can't find anything to put on the acne under my hair.

Dr Ed Seaton

by Dr Ed Seaton on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: Acne on back of neck and on scalp

Hello, Thanks for your question. It is worth seeing a GP or dermatologist for this. Scalp acne (sometimes called folliculitis) is surprisingly common. Try a ketaconazole shampoo first- this can be obtained in pharmacies and is a good way of reducing levels of yeast on the skin that can sometimes cause scalp spots. Use twice or three times weekly and leave the lather on for 3-5 minutes before rinsing. If this doesn't' help over a few weeks then you may need a prescribed medication. Acne creams can't be easily used in the fairly scalp so the chances are you may need a course of an oral antibiotic, a hormonal medication such as the combined oral contraceptive or a tablet called spironolactone. Sometimes people with troublesome scalp acne do well with oral isotretinoin (Roaccutane), which tends to bring things under complete control within a few months.

Best wishes

Dr Seaton
Dr Ed Seaton
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... seaton.php

2 posts