How do I keep my acne at bay

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
vicki1975

by vicki1975 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:43 pm

How do I keep my acne at bay

What's the best way to keep acne at bay? I've tried changing my diet, cutting out sugary food and snacks, I do regularly cleanse tone and moisturise

Dr Ed Seaton

by Dr Ed Seaton on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Re: How do I keep my acne at bay

Hello,

Thanks very much for the question. Despite popular belief acne is not very much to do with diet. As long as your diet is healthy and you are not under too much stress. Unfortunately acne is incredibly common- almost all teenagers have it and many adults, especially women get it well into middle age.

It can be very effectively treated, but the chances are that you will need to use a regular treatment to keep it at bay. It is worth discussing with a dermatologist or GP if it is bothering you because a great deal can be done. Simple creams are often effective and some of these can be bought in the pharmacy. Look for medications with benzoyl peroxide. Doctors can prescribe other creams including containing retinoids, which are great for unblocking pores and getting rid of blackheads, and antibiotics. Courses or oral antibiotics for a few months are also often very effective. In women, the combined oral contraceptive may work well. Finally a strong oral treatment called isotretinoin (Roaccutane) can be prescribed by a dermatologist which is really great at clearing acne up completely.

Best wishes

Dr Seaton
Dr Ed Seaton
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... seaton.php

2 posts