acne

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
gibbs2016

by gibbs2016 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:28 am

acne

hi i was just wondering if you could tell me what products that i should use for adult acne and children acne my child is starting to have alot of acne as well.

Dr Ed Seaton

by Dr Ed Seaton on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Re: acne

Thanks for your question. There are many treatments available for acne including creams, gels and tablet treatments. Perhaps try over-the-counter of off-the shelf topical treatments such as those containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, or perhaps nicotinamide. Wash with a non-oily water based cleanser and make sure any make up or moisturisers you use are non-comedogenic (don't block pores).

If you are still getting spots then see your GP or a Dermatologist. On prescription you and your child can be given topical antibiotics, topical retinoids (vitamin A based medicines) and other medications. A course or oral antibiotics can be tried, or perhaps a contraceptive pill containing oestrogen. Oral isotretinoin is the most powerful treatment for acne and usually completely clears it up but does have possible side effects so needs to be considered carefully. Acne is usually very controllable on the right treatment.

Best wishes

Dr Ed Seaton
Dr Ed Seaton
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... seaton.php

2 posts