new nightime problem...

Ask our experts any questions you may have about bedwetting here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
macocada

by macocada on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm

new nightime problem...

I'm 65 and three times in the last 2 months I have woken up to find that I have had overnight 'leakage' of urine. Not masses of it, but enough to need to leap out of bed in horror and change the sheet. I've given birth to five children, but the doc advised today (after examination) that my pelvic muscles and so forth all seem to be generally in order, possibly a little weak, but nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Have sent off a wee sample, plus am having an abdominal, kidney and bladder ultrasound on Monday then a visit to the urologist. There's a little blood in my wee (usually is and I've had the camera 'up there' several years ago, with nothing found) also have a tiny kidney stone in my left kidney.

I dont suffer with 'stress incontinence' - so no worries when coughing, sneezing etc. I'm just horrified at this new turn of events and am wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience. I did start a statin about two weeks before the first 'episode' took place - and am wondering whether this may have had some effect on my bladder muscles, although my GP seems to rule that out altogether.. Had to stop the statin as it really didnt agree with me in other ways, but it's the only medication which was new at around the time this first happened..

I dread going to bed in case this happens again :o and am trying to drink less in the evenings, and nothing after 8pm, so that 'it' doesn't recur.

Can anyone else relate, please?

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: new nightime problem...

Hi Macocada
I've been thinking about your message over the weekend, it's distressing waking to find the bed wet so I empathise with you finding yourself in this situation.
I can't find any evidence to suggest the statin would cause leakage, so this may just be a coincidence. The Drs on this forum may be better qualified to categorically say it's not the cause.
Have you had any results yet from any tests?
Can I ask if you've been under undue stress, had alcohol on the nights you've leaked, been taking sleep aids? Some of these things could contribute?....
The fact it's not happening more often is encouraging (though it's bad enough happening at all) but non the less a cause can, and should be found and with the referral to a urologist you're on the right track.
What will help your consultation with the urologist when you go is an exact diary of the episodes and a three day bladder diary that you can complete before you go. If you google 'frequency volume chart' you can print one out & fill it in. It's so useful for the team you meet, believe me. Even through days when you don't leak or feel your bladder in behaving 'normal'.
All the best.
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Macocada
I'm sorry you're experiencing such distressing symptoms. I have not heard of statins causing urinary incontinence although it has been very rarely reported. However, if this were the cause then things should improve now that you've stopped the statin.

Your urologist should investigate your bladder further and I agree with the advice from Julie Jenks that taking a frequency-volume chart with you to your appointment will be extremely helpful.

Good luck!
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:30 am

Hi there
Dreading going to sleep and fearing what you will find when you wake up is really difficult. While you are trying to find out what is going on, it might be important to try some incontinence products so that you can go to bed knowing that you won't have to change the sheets if there is a problem. Stress and worry could exacerbate the issue so perhaps find someone you can trust to talk about what is going on for you, and hopefully feel reassured that you are doing what you can to get it sorted. I hope you're meeting with the urologist is helpful.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

macocada

by macocada on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks very much to you three kind and knowledgable folk who have replied to me. I dont take any sleep aids, very rarely drink anything at all (alcohol, I mean!) and am not under any stress so can't attribute the issue to any of those 'usual suspects'!

I've had ultrsound on kidneys and bladder (all fine, bladder emptying properly etc and looks normal, kidneys normal one small stone which was spotted a few years ago as well, but it's not blocking anything. Also pelvic ultrasound - transvaginal route - only things to comment on is that a fibroid is 1cm larger at 3.5cm than it was several years ago, and my uterus is retroverted which I think is a newish thing as no-one mentioned that last time I had a scan (again several years back), Ovaries couldnt be found - but then I am post menopausal and the radiographer who did the scan had no concerns about this.

So a bit of a puzzle - no recurrence - I'm going to an 'incontinence clinic' I was informed, when I rang to book via my e-referral paperwork, not actually at the hospital but at a satellite premises. "Bladder or bowel, or both...?" boomed the very jolly lady who booked me in at the next clinic in July! Some interesting 'waiting room conversations' to be had there, then... :lol: I shall certainly download the recording sheet and take it along to help with the process of working out whats going on.

Many thanks again for your interest and helpful comments. I'll let you know if there are an 'eureka' moments!

kind regards

M

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks for your feedback :D I really hope the clinic is helpful for you.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

6 posts