child betwetting

Ask our experts any questions you may have about bedwetting here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
pricklypear

by pricklypear on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 pm

child betwetting

My son is 7, 8 next month and until Christmas had never had a dry night and was still in very wet pull ups at night. Since Christmas he has been to see the paedatricician 3 times and stopped wearing pull ups. He increased his day time drinking, had after one round his desmopresin increased to 240 and also is now taking Lycel 5mg, we can increase up to 15 but this increase very definitely gives him a headache. We are not seeing the consultant again until some point in he future (unknown). We are lucky if we have one two dry nights in a week, we haven't had one now for almost three weeks. I am starting to look at the resources on the Eric website but I am now all out of ideas and quite tired and I understand that there is absolutely no magic cure and it is very common but I am not really sure what to quite to do next. Any advice is greatly received . Many thanks.

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: child betwetting

Hi pricklypear
Has your son tried a bedtime alarm? I'm assuming yes, but just checking.
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am

Re: child betwetting

Hi
This sounds really difficult for both your son and you. Like Julie, I'm not sure what you've already tried, but where an underlying physiological issue isn't the cause, behavioural modification can be really helpful. Looking at your son's day time habits may be important, to see if he is going to the toilet regularly during the day as soon as he feels the urge, or whether he is putting it off and ignoring the sensations that he needs to go. Speaking to his school might also be helpful to try and find out if he is able to go to the toilet when he needs to during lesson time, without it being a problem. Perhaps also look at his night time routine. Is he spending enough time winding down and getting ready for bed without any TV or computers, so that he can be more relaxed and empty his bladder fully before bed. While it's absolutely understandable that you are tired and fed up of this problem, it's important that your son doesn't feel this, as becoming worried, or feeling guilty or ashamed about this problem could exacerbate his difficulties. You might want to keep a diary so that you can try to see if there is a correlation between his bowel habits, day time bladder habits, what he eats and drinks, and when he stays dry. However, as much as possible, it's important that his bedwetting doesn't become too much of a focus for him. I am sure you are exhausted with having to get up in the night and trying different things, so good luck and hang in there.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

3 posts