Eczema / Hives - Antihistamines ?

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
creativz

by creativz on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Eczema / Hives - Antihistamines ?

I've experienced mild-severe eczema since childhood, have used various ointments and creams but it's gradually eased off over the years, however I'm now in my 40's and struggling with urticaria and burning heat rash, my skin reacts badly to any mild scratching, even close fitted clothing rubbing against my skin will cause it to bubble up, I take Fexofenadine antihistamine daily which almost makes it bearable, but I still often have to stand under a cold shower to calm the heat rash down, it does fade after awhile but it's really difficult not to scratch in order to make it stop, some days the itching drives me crazy, my skin is left irritated and rough from all the frantic scratching :oops: I've tried a couple of menthol cooling creams which weren't really very good, I regularly use Nivea Rescue & Care which does help somewhat, I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations !

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 am

Re: Eczema / Hives - Antihistamines ?

Many thanks for your post.
Antihistamines remain the main stay of treatment of urticaria. If Fexofenadine taken once daily partially eases your symptoms, I would suggest doubling the dose which is recommended for urticaria. If this does not improve your symptoms I would advise going back to your GP to try a different antihistamine eg cetirizine, levocetirizine, loratidine or desloratidine. I hope you manage to find something that works for you soon. Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts