childhood

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
simontink

by simontink on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 pm

childhood

I have noticed my 16 month grand daughter is getting areas of dry eczema looking skin behind her knees and elbows> can it be heriditary and what is the best treatment. we currently just keep the area dry and put E45 on

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: childhood

Many thanks for your question regarding your granddaughter. It does sound like she has atopic eczema which classically affects behind the knees and creases of the elbows. Genetics play a major role in contributing to the risk of developing atopic eczema but various environmental factors such as climate change or contact with irritants and allergens can also exacerbate the condition.

If your granddaughter has dry skin in these areas and they are not red, inflamed, sore or itchy I would advise continuing with regular use of moisturisers, using bath oils and to use creams rather than soaps to wash with. E45 is quite a light moisturiser which may be sufficient in the summer months but in winter the skin often becomes more dry and she may require a thicker emollient.

If the patches do become inflamed and itchy she will then need to see her doctor for an appropriate strength topical steroid to settle the inflammation quickly.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts