I look like a cow

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jordie500

by jordie500 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm

I look like a cow

Around 20 years I started with large patches of white around my knee cap and on my thighs. 20 years later I am covered. My face (around my mouth, under my eyes and on my cheeks). My chest, my back, my genitals, my legs, ankles and my feet. I have visited my GP several times to ask if there is anything to help me and he says no and to make sure that I keep covered up when I am in the sun. Although I pretend that it doesn't bother me,inside it does. Outwardly I make jokes about mother nature giving me a natural tattoo and it makes me look unique! Inside I feel embarrassed and know people stare at me - they will be wondering why I 'cow markings' all over me.

I have looked in to private treatments which include steroids & Light treatment but worry about both. We live in a world where we are quickly evolving and finding new treatments all the time and I hope there will be a cure found. In the meantime is there anything I can do to stop further spread?

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:51 am

Re: I look like a cow

Hello

I m very sorry to hear about your story. Of course it affects you very much.

You can have steroid creams, tacrolimus ointment, pimecrolimus cream or UVB both on NHS and privately. These are safe providing you are doing them under medical supervision. I treat lots of patients with vitiligo, it is relatively common skin condition.

There are completely new treatments are in the late stage of clinical studies. So far these are very effective and safe and we hope to have them available in clinical practice soon. I will tweet more news about these treatments when I know more.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts