Baby eczema

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mamanoah

by mamanoah on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Baby eczema

Hello,

My son is five months old and has eczema on his cheeks and in the creases in his neck, arms and legs. We have tried various emollient and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He is really itchy all the time. We have now started the use of steroids(fucidin h) on him and as soon as the course stops the eczema comes back. The eczema on his cheeks doesn't seem to be responding to steroids though. It looks calm then as soon as he's cuddled or fed his cheeks look red and rashy.

I am breastfeeding him and concerned it could be an allergy to something in my diet. He won't take a bottle and only wants to be breastfed. I get scared every time I feed him. Just feel like I'm causing it. I feel really helpless and not too sure how to help him. I would be grateful if I could get a second opinion from the doctors on how to look after my sons skin.

Also big question how often should I bath him there seems to be conflicting information...bath daily or not?

Thanks

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Baby eczema

Hello

thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles.

Breastfeeding is good, it is unlikely to flare up eczema. You can bath daily but use bath oil and a greasy ointment moisturiser after. If steroid creams do not help your family doctor or dermatologist can prescribe non steroid inflammatory cream or ointment (pimecrolimus/elidel, tacrolimus/protopic).

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts