Eczema diagnosis at 58

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
0ttoDog01

by 0ttoDog01 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 am

Eczema diagnosis at 58

At the grand old age of 58 I have developed discoid eczema for the first time. It started the beginning of the year and at one point virtually all my body (excluding my face, but not my head) was covered with it. I was prescribed the usual creams (steroid) of varying strengths, and anti histamines, and eventually it resolved, only for another outbreak to begin within a week of the resolution of the first episode, which lasted several months. I have been covered with the eczema rash for the best part of this year. Will it ever completely go? Isthmus pattern usual? Also any suggestions for non-steroid creams (have tried E45 and antihistamine) that might help resolve the problem?

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Eczema diagnosis at 58

Thank you very much for your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately we see more and more dermatitis and discoid dermatitis can start at any age. I see many patients of your age with discoid dermatitis.

Generally dermatitis as a chronic problem and has a tendency to recur. It is useful to use regular moisturisers and moisturising soap substitutes to reduce risk of recurrence.

The usual treatment is topical steroids of an appropriate strength and regular moisturisers. Sometimes we have to use UVB phototherapy at hospital and even potent oral medicine (the first drip medicine [biologic] for dermatitis became available this year).

Yes non steroid creams (elidel, protopic) can sometimes be useful to manage dermatitis. Steroid and non steroid creams treatment should be supervised by your GP or Dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful.

With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
The British Association of Dermatologists Media Spokesperson
Cambridge, Bedford, Leicester

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts