Scalp Applications

Post your psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
elvisthepelvis

by elvisthepelvis on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Scalp Applications

Which scalp application would you recommend for the best results - Diprosalic or Betnovate?

Kenwoodlad

by Kenwoodlad on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: Scalp Applications

Diprosalic has always worked best for me. I'm currently suffering from a flare up and the diprosalic has calmed it down in just a few days. Good luck with whatever you try.

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 am

Re: Scalp Applications

These treatments are both used for managing scalp psoriasis, the one that will work best depends on your scalp psoriasis. If you scalp is scaly/flaky with red areas, Diprosalic would possible be the best choice, as it contains salicylic acid to reduce scale and a steroid to reduce redness - Betnovate is just a steroid. Be aware that if your scalp is sore, the alcohol base can sting, so ask for a lotion or ointment preparation instead. It is also important to get the best out of using your chosen treatment, so my advice is for whichever treatment you use is to put on by parting hair and massage topical treatment into affected areas of the scalp for 5 minutes, often scalp treatment is best applied at night. Leave on for at least 2 hours, or overnight before washing out with shampoo the next day - it would be a good idea to use a medicated shampoo for psoriasis, such as Capasal, Alphosyl, T-gel or Dermax.
If your scalp is very scaly, you need to descale your scalp first and then either treatment will be more effective. De-scaling is most effective with a salicylic acid preparation in a tar base (Cocois or Seb-Co ointment) If using these descaling treatments, remember, the treatment is messy and so if left on overnight patients should use an old pillowcase or towel, and a shower cap. To effectively descale, use liberally every day/night for a few days, for at least 4 hours or preferable overnight (washing out in the morning with a tar-based shampoo), until the scale diminishes, and then used according to need as the scale builds up. I hope this is helpful.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

3 posts