Psoriasis on nails? Fingers & toes!

Post your psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Gluten3MumE

by Gluten3MumE on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Psoriasis on nails? Fingers & toes!

Is there anything I can use on fingernails and toenails?

Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Re: Psoriasis on nails? Fingers & toes!

I would like to know the same thing.

I have tried everything for this problem from Vick, Listerine, tea tree, oreganooil to ACV all for months at a time. The latest I have tried in desperation is private, hot laser treatment.which cost a fortune. I had 12 sessions. Yes the colour is better, all dark patches which were probably fungal have diminished. However the basic psoriasis with the thickening of the nails has not improved. I have tried Onypso from Farmaline (an online pharmacy in Belgium ) and although it is specifically for psoriatic nails it has never cleared them. It does stop the outward growth that I have to file down on a regular basis. It contains only Uric acid and you only a 3ml bottle to paint on. Since the laser I have been using OPI FungusFix which I believe does help with the colour of the nails.
I have palmarplantar psoriasis (hands and feet)

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:15 am

Re: Psoriasis on nails? Fingers & toes!

Nail psoriasis is very difficult to treat, especially with topical treatments. For treatment ti be effective, topical treatment must be applied to the nail matrix and the skin of the nail plate, often for months, but even then results can be disappointing. The topical treatment options are calcipotriol solution or calcipotriol with steroid gel, massaged into nail once/twice a day or possibly topical steroid under occlusion. If nail psoriasis is more severe (and psoriasis in this area of the body can be distressing and disabling), please ask your GP for a referral to dermatology to discuss other options including oral immunosuppressant or retinoid therapy, local phototherapy or steroid injections. I hope this advice helps both the people who have posted.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

3 posts